Peanut Noodles a la Maureen
A South African-Italian-Asian fusion dish of healthy noodles. This dish can be made gluten-free.
Half a box of thin wholewheat fettuccine, spaghetti or pasta of choice (use GF pasta if required)
1 bunch of spring onions, chopped white bits and green bits
1/3 cup natural peanut butter, chunky or smooth (WW Organic* preferred or Nature's Choice GMO-free peanut butter, or next best Black Cat with yellow lid)
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce (Kikkoman in the green bottle, or use tamari for gluten-free option)
¼ cup hot water
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp (to taste) crushed red pepper flakes
* If you use this you will have to stir in the oil that separates at the top of the jar. Also keep it in the fridge after opening.
- Fry the onions in the sesame oil over low heat (be careful, they burn easily).
- Add the ginger and fry a bit more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Once mixed, add to the cooked noodles. There isn’t a lot of sauce, it just coats the noodles.
- Eat hot, warm or cold. Also freezes well.
- Serve with small green/mixed salad.
- You can make double the quantity of sauce if you want it really saucy - this is a good option!
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews