Poached Pears with Raspberry Coulis
Coulis is a thick and evenly textured French sauce. It can be made from fruits or vegetables and so can be sweet or savoury. Use coulis to enhance the flavour of food, as well as to make a dish look more sophisticated.
2½ cups white wine
2½ cups water
1¼ cups sugar
Peel of ½ orange
Juice of 1 orange
4 firm pears
2 cups fresh raspberries
Juice of ½ a lemon
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the wine, water, sugar, orange peel, and orange juice.
- Leaving the stems intact, carefully core and peel the pears. Cut a thin strip off the bottom so that they will stand up. Gently place into the pan.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 to 20 minutes, rotating frequently to assure even cooking. When soft but still firm, remove from the liquid and chill in the refrigerator.
- Purée the raspberries in a blender with the lemon juice until smooth. Press through a fine sieve to remove the seeds.
- Voila! Serve with the poached pears.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews