Raw Tomato Pasta
This raw vegan dish uses tomatoes and zuchini. Both are very good sources of dietary fibre, vitamins A and C, potassium and manganese. Zucchini (or courgette) is also good for protein, vitamin B6, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and copper. Tomatoes are also high in vitamin K. Both are low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
12 ripe juicy tomatoes (organic)
1 cup fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
4 large organic zucchini
4 Tbsp good olive oil
- Chop the tomatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a strainer. Finely chop the garlic and basil, and set aside.
- If your courgettes aren't organic, peel the skin, but if they are organic, leave the skin on. With a spiral slicer, spiralise the courgettes, using the spaghetti setting. Place the spiralised courgettes on a paper towel to absorb any moisture (or just use a peeler to cut long thin strips like tagliatelli).
- Place the ‘courgetti’ into a bowl and mix with the olive oil and a little of the chopped garlic.
- Mix the chopped basil and remaining garlic with the tomatoes. Use Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Put equal amounts of the tomatoes in the centre of each of 4 plates. Spread equal amounts of the courgetti around the plate and serve.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Toni Brockhoven, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews