Rice and Cabbage Casserole
I learned to cook this in Bulgaria, where it seems to be a well-known traditional dish. 2 simple ingredients - rice and cabbage - are combined with aromatic herbs into a hearty meal that is excellent for winter.
1 onion, chopped
½ cabbage, finely chopped and salted
4 tomatoes, ground
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp paprika
½ cup rice
1 Tbsp mixed herbs
Fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pot, add the oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the cabbage, stir thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and paprika, mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add water to cover the mixture and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down and cook for 30 minutes.
- Then add the rice, mixed herbs, parsley and pepper; mix and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Once the rice is ready, pour the contents in a casserole dish, (optional: sprinkle with more herbs) and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes or until a brown crust has formed.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Antonia Dlagnekova, Pretoria, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews