Spicy Black Bean Soup
A spicy version of the black bean soup recipe that originated in Cuban cuisine. This recipe is gluten-free and uses chilli for some kick.
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 chopped carrots
2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 cups vegetable stock
3 cups cooked black beans (or 2 cans drained and rinsed)
1 cup whole kernel sweetcorn
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 medium can diced tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic and carrots for 5 minutes or until onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, half the beans, corn and pepper; and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, puree together the tomatoes and remaining beans; add to the pot.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- You can totally omit the chilli powder if you don’t want a spicy soup.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Johannesburg, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews