Spicy Italian Vegetarian Sausages
Homemade sausages are very popular in Italian homes. They are often spiced with garic, chili, fennel and sweet basil.
2¼ cups vital wheat gluten
½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
¼ cup chickpea flour
2 Tbsp vegetable stock powder
2 Tbsp granulated onion
1-2 Tbsp fennel seed, optional
2 tsp coarsely ground pepper, preferably freshly ground
2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp dried chili flakes, optional
1 tsp ground smoked paprika
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt (check with ½ tsp depending on the salt content of your stock powder)
1/8 tsp ground allspice
2¼ cups cool water
6-8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the water, garlic, olive oil and soy sauce and using a fork, gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until ingredients are mixed. If dough mixture is too dry, you can add another tablespoon of water or as needed.
- Scoop half a cup of dough mixture at a time and shape into logs.
- Place logs on piece of aluminum foil and roll up, twisting ends. Place sausages in steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
- Once the sausages have cooled, keep in foil and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- After cooling, the sausages may feel a bit dry on the outside. Don’t worry, as they will soften and firm up considerably after chilling.
- Variation: You can shape the dough into little patties instead of links. You could also make thinner sausages, cocktail sausages etc.
Serves 8 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews