Spicy Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
A hearty and healthy soup, loaded with protein and flavour.
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced green pepper
2 cans chopped tomatoes with juice or fresh equivalent, skinned and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
½ small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
6 cups vegetable broth
Salt to taste (depending on seasoning from vegetable stock)
1 kg fresh peeled cubed pumpkin
½-1 cup cooked black beans (1 can rinsed and drained)
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained, or equivalent raw fresh cut from the cob
½ cup chopped fresh coriander
Additional whole coriander springs for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the garlic, onion, red pepper and green pepper over medium-high heat until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the cumin, cayenne and jalapeno, and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes and pumpkin, stir to blend well, and cook for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Stir in the beans, corn and coriander, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Partly blend the soup leaving some pieces of vegetables visible.
- Garnish with additional coriander and serve hot.
- For extra creaminess, add up to 250 ml non-dairy single cream after blending - do not boil, just heat to under boiling point.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews