Spinach and Cheese Scoffins
Scoffins are a cross between a scone and a muffin. They make a great on-the-go breakfast bite or snack. A tasty golden crust with a soft centre.
2 cups all-purpose/cake flour (Eureka stone ground preferable)
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried mustard powder
1 tsp onion powder
1½ cups non-dairy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup non-GM vegetable oil such as canola
1 egg replacement (1 Tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp warm water and stirred well and left to stand for 5 minutes)
1 cup fresh chopped spinach, finely chopped (food processor makes this easy)
½ cup chopped Kalamata olives (optional but great unless you dislike olives)
¼ cup fresh chopped green/spring onion
- Mix the flax egg before you start anything else and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180°C.
- Spray a muffin tin with pan spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour through and including onion powder). Whisk well.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add to the dry to combine. Add the chopped spinach (and the olives if using) and carefully stir.
- Scoop into greased muffin tin and bake for 23 minutes or until done (test after 15 minutes depending on your oven).
- They freeze well if you don’t eat them all at once!
- Recipe inspired by Kirsten’s Kitchen.
- To make gluten-free use your own blend of gluten-free flour or try this one:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/3 cups white rice flour
- 1 1/3 cups quinoa or millet flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour (preferably white but can use brown)
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- Mix well together and store in cool pantry or fridge
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews