Stir-Fried Eggplant in Thai Basil Sauce
Pad Makheua is stir fried eggplant, also known as brinjal or aubergine. Many different types of eggplant are freely available around Thailand, the most common being Makheua yao, a long green eggplant. Most varieties are not available in South Africa so we'll just have to make do with our own version.
Aubergines are high in dietary fibre, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, and protein, amongst others.
1 eggplant, cut diagonally and soaked in lightly salted water
2 cups soya mince
1 Tbsp dark fermented soy sauce
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 red spur chillies, cut into strips
½ cup Thai basil
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
¼ cup vegetable stock
1 tsp light soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
Sprig sweet basil
- Preheat a pan of cooking oil over a medium heat When the oil is hot, fry the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant and soya mince, tossing to combine them.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook until the eggplant is done.
- Season to taste with dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and sugar.
- Cook for a few minutes, add the chillies and Thai basil. toss well and turn off the heat.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sweet basil.
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews