Toni's Best Malva Pudding
Malva pudding is a sweet pudding of Cape Dutch origin that has become a firm favourite for many South African families. It contains apricot jam and has a spongy caramelised texture. A cream sauce is usually made and poured over it while it is hot.
30 g coconut oil (solid)
100 ml sugar
1 egg replacer
2 Tbsp apricot jam
1 cup (250ml) cake flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
½ cup soy/rice/oat milk
4 tsp rice vinegar
1½ cups soy cream / Orley whip
125g coconut oil or homemade vegan butter
Pinch Himalayan salt
200 ml sugar
1 Tbsp apricot jam
- Mix thw ingredients, simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Cream the oil and sugar, add egg replacer of choice and beat well. Add jam and beat.
- Dissolve bicarb in the milk. Sift flour and pinch of Himalayan salt and add to the mixture alternately with the milk, then add the vinegar.
- Use a deep dish (about 2 litres). The pudding rises and bubbles up so a deep dish is imperative.
- Pour over half the sauce, bake at 180 for 30 minutes. Then pour over the balance of the sauce and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Take the applause graciously.
Serves 6 people
Recipe supplied by Toni Brockhoven, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews