Traditionally, blondie's are similar to brownies, except that they use vanilla instead of cocoa. Tristan's version however, also uses chocolate chips.
¾ cup all-purpose flour (Eureka stone ground)
2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or more all purpose
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped dairy free chocolate
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
¼ cup and 2 Tbsp soy milk
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup non-GM sunflower or canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 176°C.
- Spray a square 9 x 9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, baking powder and salt together. Add the sugar and mix well (can use a whisk).
- In a medium sized bowl mix arrowroot with the 2 Tbsp milk until smooth and then add the rest of the milk, the maple syrup, vanilla extract and oil together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well, but do not overmix. Mixture should be quite stiff but spreadable.
- Spread into prepared tin and make sure mixture is pushed into the corners.
- Place inthe heated oven on the middle shelf. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Check after 10.
- When the top is lightly brown and you can smell the blondies they should be cooked, but test with a tester or sharp knife to make sure no wet mixture remains. Do not overcook - better to have chewy blondies than dry ones!
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on a cake rack to cool. Let cool in the tin until just warm and then cut into 12 pieces. If you are using a non-stick pan, make sure to use a plastic utensil for this!
- Once really cold (so the chocolate is set) you can remove from the pan and store in a sealed container if you don't eat them all straight away.
- Can also be frozen.
- You could also double the recipe and use 2 pans or one 9 x 13 pan - saves electricity! If using double the recipe and the 9 x 13 pan, check timing as it could be a bit longer.
Serves 12 people
Recipe supplied by Maureen Cram, Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews