Vegan Cheese Sauce Mix
Keeping this dry nut-based cheese sauce mix on hand makes it easy to whip up a batch of vegan cheese sauce whenever you need to ... and in record time. It can be stored for up to 2 months in a refrigerator.
¾ cup raw cashew or whole raw almonds
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tbsp arrowroot
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp paprika or chili powder
- Place cashews, oats and sunflower seeeds in a food processor and process for 2 or 3 minutes until finely ground. Scrape down the sides of the container with a rubber spatula.
- Add the nutritional yeast flakes, arrow root, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and paprika and process for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store in a refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- To prepare the cheese sauce from the mix, whisk together ½ cup of the vegan cheese sauce mix and 1 cup of water or soy/rice milk in a small sauce pan, and cook over a medium heat, whisking often for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- This makes 1 cup of vegan cheese sauce.
- Serve with raw or steamed vegetables or use dry to season and flavor sauces, soups, vegetables or popcorn.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Antoinette Maake, Botriver, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews