Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of mushroom soup is a simple type of soup where a basic roux is thinned with cream or milk and then mushrooms or mushroom broth are added. Cream of mushroom soup is sometimes used as a base ingredient in casseroles and comfort foods where its use is similar to that of a mushroom flavored gravy. This recipe is a South African vegan version of mushroom soup.
Mushrooms are known to be low in fat and calories, and high in B vitamins, copper, potassium and essential minerals.
1½ pounds carrots, raw (peeled and washed)
2 Tbsp olive oil or vegan margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup ginger root, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
7 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine (optional)
1½ cups cashew nuts, unsalted and either raw or dry-roasted
2 Tbsp lemon juice (orange juice may be substituted)
Curry and/or coriander powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the carrots into half-inch pieces. Place the oil or butter in a large stock pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic; sauté for about 15 minutes. Add the broth, carrots, and (if using) wine. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered over a medium heat until the carrots are tender (about 45 minutes).
- Puree in a blender with cashew nuts. Season with juice, curry/coriander, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh chives or parsley.
- Serve hot or cold with bread
Serves 2 people
Recipe supplied by Marjorie Marino, Bulacan, Philippines
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews