Vegan Kwaai Braai Pie
This is a modified recipe of Kwaai Braai Paai - a pie recipe that can be cooked at that most South African of social gatherings - the braai. The original recipe uses meat as one of the main ingredients. You too can use additional mock chicken breasts or soya meat if you like, or just use the veggie version below.
2 rolls puff pastry
1 large chopped and fried onion
1 cup pitted black olives
1 rinsed, dried and chopped packet spinach
1 punnet chopped mushrooms
1 tin chopped artichokes
Non-dairy milk for brushing
Mock chicken breasts or soya mince (optional)
- Thaw the pastry dough and roll out. Fry the onion and let it cool slightly.
- Place first half of the raw spinach on the pastry, sprinkle with olives, chopped artichokes and onions, followed by the mushrooms. Use Ina Paarman's Rosemary and Olive spices and black pepper - no salt, or use your favourite seasoning.
- Add grated cheese of choice and round off with the other half of the spinach.
- Put the top layer of dough on top and fold the edges tightly. This is quite a high pile of ingredients, but flatten it a little first and then place the pastry top over. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with paprika, smoked paprika or your favourite seasoning / dried herbs.
- Use a braai ‘sandwich board’ with edges and cook the pie low on the coals. Constantly turn over and cook for about 20 minutes until the pastry is nicely browned.
- Cut into portions and enjoy it.
- Use your favourite combinations, with a standard base of spinach and onion. For a variation, try chopped mixed peppers, steamed / roasted butternut pieces, Fry’s strips, sliced Fry’s sausage, fried zucchini… the options are endless!
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Garth Samuels, region unknown, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews