Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Quiche
A great vegan quiche, made from only ingredients that are easy to find in South Africa - perfect when entertaining, buffets and dinner spreads.
Ingredients for the base:
1 cup spelt flour
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Pinch Cayenne pepper
Ingredients for the filling:
800g plain tofu
250 ml soya milk
2 Tbsp vegetable stock
2 Tbsp English mustard
½ tsp Cumin powder
Dash of soya sauce
3-4 sweet potatoes (sliced and slow roasted in the oven with olive oil and sea salt)
Method for the filling:
Method for the base:
- Wash and roughly chop up the sweet potato.
- Rub the sweet potatoes and season with olive oil, and then bake them at 200°C until done.
- In a food processor (Magi Mix), add the soya milk, tofu, mustard, cumin powder and soya sauce, and blend until smooth. This is the vegan custard base.
- Turn the roasted sweet potato and caramelized onion into the mixture gently.
- Add to the quiche base and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until there is a little colour.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- In a mixing bowl, add the vegetable oil to the spelt flour and rub together gently to get a breadcrumb texture.
- Add a little water so that the pastry binds.
- Roll out and place into your quiche mould.
- Place in the freezer for at least a half hour.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Fresh Earth Food Store, Gauteng, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews