Vegetable and Pasta Stirfry
East meets West here, in this dish flavoured with soy sauce, ginger and dry sherry. Prepare all the vegetables and cook the pasta in advance, then the dish can be assembled in a few minutes when you are ready to eat.
400g dried wholewheat pasta shells
2 thinly sliced carrots
115g baby sweetcorn
1 thinly sliced large onion
1 thinly sliced clove garlic
3 thinly sliced sticks celery
1 small red pepper, cored, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
3cm thinly sliced piece fresh ginger
1 tsp cornflour
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp dry sherry
1 Tbsp sugar
A dash of hot pepper sauce (optional)
2 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp corn (or sesame) oil
1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook the pasta until al dente and keep warm.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add carrots and sweetcorn and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Heat the corn oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the ginger and stir fry for 1 minute to flavour the oil. Remove the ginger with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and baby sweetcorn and stir fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the drained pasta.
- Mix together the cornflour and 2 tbsp of water to make a smooth paste. Stir in the soy sauce, sherry and sugar. Pour the cornflour mixture into the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in a dash of pepper sauce, if preferred.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 4 people
Recipe supplied by Katrina Jordaan, Cape Town, South Africa
Show Comments / Reviews
No Comments / Reviews